Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica wall calendars
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 16:40:09 -0500

At 06:35 AM 11/9/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Tina, as a result of your work do you expect a change
>in the culture that you photograph so beautifully?
>
>What will the difference be?     Dale

Hi, Dale -

I've already seen a difference in most of the communities that I revisit
after 15 years.  In El Temblor, for example, on my first visit, all of the
people lived in houses made of sticks with thatched roofs and mud
floors.  Now each of the 47 families lives in adobe houses with tile roofs
and concrete floors.  Every family has a Heifer Project goat and milk for
their children.  There is a water project in the center of the village with
water piped up from a river.  Those are physical changes but they affect
the health of the children and the sense of security for the family.  The
grass-roots development projects have begun to have workshops on gender
equality, something that would have been unheard of a few years
ago.  Hurricane Mitch set some communities back severely, but they are
beginning to recover now.  There is still no infrastructure provided by the
government.  Everything has to be done by the communities for themselves.
The changes are slow, but significant.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com