Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Lenswork Magazine
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:13:34 -0500

At 10:03 AM 11/10/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Tina.....
>
>Oh.... I would not consider your work propaganda... but I am sure some
>people would. I do however consider your work to be documentary work.. of
>the highest order I might add. Likewise, I would not consider Lange's work
>to be propaganda either.. which was the central thesis of the debate.
>
>My only point was... eveyone has a message or a point of view they wish to
>capture, and then convey in their work. Right? Weather or not that message
>is received as 'propaganda' or 'brilliant and sensitive documentary work' is
>largely dependant on the viewer and his or her own agenda and beliefs....
>not necessarily the photographer. Wouldn't you agree?  The idea that the FSA
>wished to project a story some consider to be propaganda is not exactly
>headline news. Of course they did, but then again, what organization
>doesn't? Certainly, UNICEF has a goal for their photo documentary work
>also.. don't they?
>
>Jim

Yes, raising money!  Here is Webster's definition of propaganda, by the
way:  the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of
helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person.  Documentary
photography that only informs and does not try to help or hurt would not be
propaganda.  I would rather try to make a difference instead of just
informing even if it is considered propaganda.  Dorothea Lange's
photography would fit into the category of helping a cause and be
considered propaganda under Webster's definition.

We agree in concept but the words are different ;-)

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

images available from: