Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Seth's Train expose'
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:17:28 EST

In a message dated 11/7/02 9:49:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
enitka@twcny.rr.com writes:

> I am
>  not put off by train travel just Amtrak - my step father is a retired
>  railman and I have many sympathies for Amtrak's plight.

Ernie, given merely adequate federal funding, say 20% pro rata of what
European countries pay to support national passenger rail service, and the
federal government compelling the freight railroads to comply with their
original agreements (it was the quid pro quo for permitting them to divest
themselves of their money-losing passenger service) to provide right-of-way
priority to Amtrak passenger trains, we would have a proper national
passenger railroad.

I astonishes me why the folks in Washington think it's appropriate to expect
Amtrak to make money or break even when the very reason that all of the
railroads wanted to get out of the passenger business 30 years ago was
precisely because it was a money-loser.

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] OT Seth's Train expose')