Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica TM39 , 28mm lens alternatives?
From: "Jem Kime" <realcamera@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 17:29:32 -0000

Kelvin,
I've a fair bit of experience in searching for cheap, non-Leitz, wide-angle,
Leica-fit lenses.
But the outlook is not good within your budget.
The Russian Orion is the most likely offering (though its rarely seen here
in the UK below 100 UKP, approx 160 USD) and according to Tom A a far from
poor performer.
The Canon and Kobalux (Bower, Avenon, Pasoptik) lenses are unlikely to be
found at your price unless  they're very used/abused or the owner doesn't
know what they're worth.
You can forget Angenieux! And the Minolta lens is rarely seen (here) below
250 UKP/400 USD even in the condition mentioned.
The one remaining option I can think of is the Komura 28/3.5 of which I've
owned a couple, both of which cost me less than 100 USD, but their
performance was the worst in all the lenses I've mentioned.
Perhaps the most cost effective consideration would be the purchase of an
SLR lens whcih could then be adapted to fit (albeit without rangefinder
coupling) to the Leica fit. A good M42 lens, such as a Pentax Takumar, along
with the screw to screw adapter (available through people like SRB for
around 20 UKP) would make a quite usable lens at a minimum cost.
regards,
Jem