Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon 7 / 7sz and external VF
From: "Jem Kime" <realcamera@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:09:25 -0000

Kelvin,
Your mail got me thinking...
I too have a Canon 7, not that I've used it in a while, but I also like the
wide angle lenses and have regretted there not being an easily available
accessory shoe for that camera.
I've just created one though! Take a look at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/realcamer/fourdescphotos.html
Take one accessory shoe from any old device, such as a flash bracket and
providing it has a flat base, remove it from whatever it was attached to and
secure firmly to the Canon's top plate with some extra strong double sided
tape. The stuff that is sold for carpet joins seems admirable for this
purpose.
Then place it on top of the Canon engraving, just to the left of the meter
dial and just in front of the viewfinder adjusting dial. there's enough
space to secure it but not enough to have all the shoe on top of the camera.
I guess there's around 10% hanging off the front of the camera.
These flash accessory shopes tend to be a little loosely made and therefore
can offer a bit of 'slop' when mounting an accessory finder, something that
should be discouraged if possible. Check for play and ensure the lens is
pointing as straight ahead as possible. perhaps best to check the view with
either ground glass or tracing paper over the film plane or waste a roll in
checking the view as seen with the view as captured on film.
Although the rear of the viewfinder is some point further ahead of the rear
of the camera it seems easy enough to get one's eye up close to it, not a
problem at all.

Hope this helps,
Jem