Subject: Re: [Leica] Decisions, decisions: Brooks Veriwide vs. RF 21mm vs. ?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 21:29:39 -0500

Dante, for me that is a no brainer.  The 21 ASPH on a Leica:  up to 11X on a
100 speed film stock your results will be better than the old 47mm.  You
gain four stops of speed as the 47 really needs to be stopped down to F11 or
preferably smaller.

As to the SLR lens, the quality issue in the edges near wide open goes to
the Leica.  Framing is rarely that exact that a viewfinder won't get you
close enough.  And I do have 20-21 in Canon, Nikon, and Leica so have some
basis for comparison.

Reasons I would change my mind?  Work that frequently goes beyond 16X,
semi-macro work where exact framing and DOF really matter.  For that I would
re-phrase the question and put some of the newer glass(35-58mm) on a 6X9
Technika which would give me movements, through the lens viewing, and access
to all the backs and gizmo's that have been made for Technika's.  This would
include Polaroid and digital capability.  Oh yes, I understand that the
front cover would go and movements are extremely limited.  Other options
would be the 6X9 Arca.

In its day the Brooks was a formidable performer but now is best seen as a
collectable.

Just my humble opinion.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com