Subject: Re: [Leica] Decisions, decisions: Brooks Veriwide vs. RF 21mm vs. ?
From: "Pat Perez" <patdperez@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:57:06 -0800

If I recall correctly, when the Veriwide switched from f8 to f5.6, the image
size changed. The f8 original version negative is 56x92mm, the later version
is 56x82 (or maybe 84). Since most 6x9 negative carriers are closer to the
latter size, this becomes less important.

The lens does exhibit quite noticeable light falloff at the edges until
about f16. Obviously, corner darkness can be used to effect, so that may or
may not be a big issue. Although the Leitz VF is the factory original, I
just can't see paying the premium to get a Veriwide with it. Mine came with
a more than adequate Russian VF that even handles parallax correction
(although the viewfinder shoe does this anyways). I really think over $1500
is too much for the Brooks, even with the Leitz finder. I saw a beautiful
sample sell about a week ago for about $1300. I got mine for much less a
year ago. If you had a Veriwide available to you for $500, I'd say that is a
very favorable (buying) price, if it functions properly.

Pat