Subject: [Leica] Re: M6 0.85 finder problems
From: Chris Chen <furcafe@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 20:47:32 -0800 (PST)

If you can live without the M6's built-in meter, you
can also solve your VF flare problems by trading it in
for an M3.

Chris

- ------

it  sounds like your problem could be solved by:

http://www.konermann.net/homepage.html (go to "shade")

it works for me.

- - -rei

> From: Martin Jangowski <martin@jangowski.de>
>
> Hi all,
>
> after several years of "stamp-sized negative"
bashing I recently
couldn't
> resist any longer and bought a like-new M6-TTL with
the 0.85 finder
and a
> Summicron 2/90.
>
> A few days ago, I took it for a first test ride. We
had a big family
> meeting on Nov. 1th, so I took my faithful Mamiya 7
with the 4/80mm
lens
> and the M6. I intended to make totals and group
photos with the
Mamiya and
> take portraits with the M6. The meeting was at the
cemetery where our
> ancestors are buried, there were 8/8 clouds, ideal
for portraiture in
the
> open.
>
> After using the Mamiya 7 (and the Mamiya 6) for a
few years now, the
Leica
> was not very different. Since the light didn't
change, I took a
incident
> reading with a Gossen lightmeter and ignored the
builtin light meter
of
> the M6, using Delta 400 in the Mamiya and Fomapan
100 in the M6.
Switching
> between cameras for totals and detail shoots was
easy, but one thing
was
> _really_ annoying: while the Mamiya finder is bright
and the focusing
is
> very easy, the focusing spot of the Leica was very
often unusuable.
> Especially when using the camera in portrait
orientation, the center
spot
> got very bright and didn't show any details, making
distance
measurement
> impossible. I have to wear glasses and had to move
the eye into a
very
> specific position to be able to focus correctly. The
Leica films show
> large percentage of negatives with wrong focusing
(sometimes
completely
> off...). Ok, the 90mm Summicron was used wide open
at 1-2m distance,
and
> the zone of sharpness is much narrower than I had
expected, but I
never
> had so much bad focused pictures before. The Mamiya
finder didn't
ever
> showed such a problem... am I too dumb to use a
Leica correctly, is
this a
> general Leica problem or could this be a problem
with this specific