Subject: [Leica] 90mm lenses -- Summicron or Elmarit?
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:22:24 -0700 (PDT)

Here are a few hand-held available-light pictures taken with the 1950s
85/2.0 screw-mount Nikkor.  I am very fond of this lens.  It's a viable
bargain alternative to the classic 90 Summicrons.  The current 90 APO
would blow it away, of course.

At f/2, it's a little soft, but probably no worse than the old 90
Summicron, just different.  Quite usable.  These are handheld shots, a
couple of boring tripod test shots I never scanned were a little sharper.

http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/bravahelen.htm
http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/lhsa2002/20gilbert.htm
http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/katimsaward.htm

At f/2.8, it's just astounding:

http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/quartet.htm

At 600 grams, it's not a walkabout lens, but I really love mine. Decent
user-condition specimens cost $250-$300 depending on condition and luck.
Some day I'll probably get a 90 APO, but until then, this ain't bad.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA