Subject: Re: [Leica] The Eyes Have It
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 06:58:49 -0700

Rob Heyman wrote & showed:

>My current thinking is that events like this are best
> left to people who have no family ties with the people involved. I found
> I was not able to stay aloof from the very familiar people and
> surroundings and consequently was unable to recognise locations that
> were condusive to interesting photographs. (Familiarity breeds contempt)
> I found myself photographing in a candid, uncontrolled way that I tell
> others not to do.<<

G'day Rob,
First, comments on the pictures of children and their eye expression.....
fine moments, not a thing wrong with those, right eyes, clean photos and if
this is the best from the re-union you should feel proud at a job well done.

The above top comment on shooting a family event..... they're more trouble
than they're worth in many cases for the reasons you mentioned... favourite
aunts, others who just get foolish when the camera is in their direction.
You have a great moment and are about to trip the shutter and uncle Harry
comes up and interrupts with a pat on the back just as the shutter is
released and hundreds more lost for any number of reasons. And rarely are
you unbiased at whom you're shooting.... "Oh jeez I better get old aunt
Maudy or she'll etc etc" you know the kind of relatives I mean. ;-)

When the photographer is an absolute stranger you slide anonymously through
the crowd, nobody knows you therefore they don't bug you. And you relate to
everything as an observer of  "people in photographic moments & not
relatives whom you feel you must get a picture of." Been there, done it
under all kids of situations, anonymous is best! ;-)

> My normal method of working is to be in complete control of the location
> and the people are there specifically to be photographed. Neither of
> these criteria were satisfied at this event. I have often found it
> difficult to photograph people I know well. Is this some type of
> syndrome?<<<

No it's not a syndrome, only a method of working a scene much like a
commercial photographer who has complete control of the scene and people.
Compared to the photojournalist who has no relevance to a chaotic scene and
wanders through it recording the motivating moments before him or her.

> Anyway, to redeem myself, at least in my own mind, I have posted a few
> shots that have a common theme. The eyes of these kids are the main
> feature of the set that I have posted at:
>
> http://www.leica-gallery.net/heymanphoto/folder-3429.html

If you captured nothing more than these children the shoot was worth it, as
they're very good. Probably the savior of your photo sanity and one way to
avoid relatives bugging you while you're trying to do something interesting.
Besides these pictures will have more appeal in 50 years than shooting all
the old aunts and uncles who'll be long gone by then. ;-)

Cast off the frustrations of failure and feel good about the successful
material and you'll feel much better. :-)
ted

Replies: Reply from Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> (Re: [Leica] The Eyes Have It)