Subject: Re: [Leica] The Eyes Have It
From: Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 13:11:02 +1000

Hi Ted and B.D. and Steve

Again, Ted, I will say I am glad to see you back in the fold. We all, or most of
us, missed you terribly. Your comments are needed.

I just realised that my last post gave the impression that the three shots on
"The Eyes Have It" were from the family reunion. These were taken as part of my
usual work and had nothing to do with the reunion.

The replies I have received from you  have been remarkably consistent. Leave the
family alone and let someone else photograph them while I sample the liquid
hospitality.

I was asked to photograph all the various family groups, namely the children of
my grandfather, then the grand children (all my cousins), the
great-grandchildren, etc. We had about 30mins till sunset so I had no real
chance to change locations for each shot, so I stood in the grandstand of the
race track and shot down on each group. More like a crowd scene, really, since
there were 168 people to organise. I was much more comfortable in this situation
than shooting candids, because I at least had control of the location. Would
have been a lot easier if I had had a stock whip and a blue dog to round them
up. The images are not artistically beautiful, but "You can see all the faces,
and aren't they clear?". In these situations I think that is all that matters.

Thank you, gentlemen for your insights. I think I will file these away for
future use in a future seminar titled "Who Wants To Shoot My Family?"

Rob

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] The Eyes Have It)