Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Traveling to Canada from US...
From: "Dave Richards" <dprichards@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:49:11 -0600

In an age when children are taught to fight and kill before their age reaches double
digits and women gleefully wrap themselves in explosives it would be fatuous to
assume that a middle-age couple from Pennsylvania couldn't possible harbor evil
intent.  I'm sure the September 11 hijackers seemed like nice guys to someone.

I know and have known a number of law enforcement officers, local, state, and
federal, and I have been one myself, albeit in a somewhat different context.  I am
occasionally put off by their attitude but I have come to realize that one thing that
allows them to do their job and remain alive is to always anticipate the worst.  To
some this may make them seem a little silly or threatening but it's an edge that
helps keep them safe.  Unfortunately this is often communicated to the people they
deal with and that can be quite off-putting.

The public demands that they do their job, that they are infinitely competent and
patient and that they intuitively can sort out bad from good.  Great idea but not too
realistic.  Cops are just people after all.  Put yourself in their shoes and imagine how
you would be knowing that you need to be armed and wear body armor just to do
the job you are being underpaid for.

This isn't meant to excuse bad behavior or poor judgement, just to help others see
things in a different light.

Dave Richards
Centennial, Colorado