Subject: RE: [Leica] OT - Traveling to Canada from US...
From: "Dave Richards" <dprichards@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:26:34 -0600

Austin,

I think that's it.  Anyone with a pulse, including some without a pulse judging by the
way they drive, can get a US driver's license.  I'm sure there are also a significant
number of illegal aliens with them, since it's more dangerous for them to be driving
without a license than it is to be an illegal.  Also, I believe it is a legal requirement to
be able to provide a Social Security Number in order to open a bank account, so
non-citizens would need to have them, too.

My limited understanding of US law indicates that there are only a certain few
documents that are accepted as proof of citizenship, birth certificate, passport
(which requires a birth certificate) and naturalization certificate being about the only
ones.

It's good to know that they are flexible enough to recognize that your brother's
citizenship didn't expire even though his passport did.

Dave

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] OT - Traveling to Canada from US...)