Subject: Re: [Leica] Cycleshop portraits - critique/comments please
From: Michael Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 22:50:23 -0500

Mark,
    I agree with Graham that the first shot of Graham by himself is the best.
I like the background pattern of the bikes in a row. I also like the direction
you take in the final shot.  Both of the shots are, IMHO, good ideas for pieces
of environmental portraiture. The shot through the spokes of the tire is
creative, but I didn't like the way the spokes and the reflector cut up his
face.
    It is tough to tell how good any of these shots might have been because of
the problems with exposure that you noted.  One suggestion I might give is to
watch the light. The fluorescent lights here cast some nasty shadows on the
ceiling, and leave faces rather flat.  It's pretty tough shooting indoors, but,
of course, that's also the only place you could have gotten the bikes in the
shot...maybe some LUGgers who work with artificial lighting could give you some
suggestions.
Regards,
Michael Gerard
geeman1066@earthlink.net