Subject: [Leica] Canon D2400U focus issues
From: "Mark Pope" <mark.teampope@ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:22:47 +0100

Dear all,

a few weeks ago I started a thread concerning the problems that I was
experiencing with getting proper film scans in focus when using my Canon
D2400U flatbed scanner which replaced an el-cheapie deluxe Primax jobbie
that came packaged with my desktop PC.

Well,  I have solved the problem - more by accident that design I might add.
I noticed that if I used Canon's scangear software, then the scans were
significantly sharper than when I imported an image through Photoshop
elements.  PS elements continued to 'see' the Primax scanner, even after I
had removed the hardware and associated software from the operating system.
I also got program errors when trying to scan consecutive images.
Unistalling and reinstalling Photoshop Elements made no difference
whatsoever.  I concluded that there must have been some vestigial Primax
Twain software lurking on my PC which was clashing with the Canon software
when trying to import images via PS Elements.

Consequently, I decided to rebuild the system from scratch, formatting the
hard disk and doing a complete clean install of the Operating system
(Windows 98).
At the same time, I have ditched PS elements and installef PS 7.  The scans
are now much improved and more in keeping with the sort of quality that I
would expect from a scanner of this calibre.  The image at
http://www.leica-gallery.net/mark-pope/image-33952.html will give you an
idea of what I mean.
Please bear in mind that I am to scanning and photoshop what Benito
Mussolini was to modesty :-)

Feedback/comments as alwas appreciated on or off list

regards

Mark Pope
Swindon Wilts, UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk