Subject: Re: [Leica] Landscape images for critique/comment
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 22:16:04 +0200

Paul,

IR film is sensitive to the full spectrum of visible light, not just
infrared. The visible spectrum stops at somewhere around 700 nm. Ilford
SFX and Konica IR are sensitive up to 750 nm, Maco 820 up to 820 nm
(surprise) and Kodak HIE up to 900 nm. But in all cases the films are
also sensitive to visible light, so you need to use an appropriate
filter, otherwise the visible light will overwhelm the infrared. These
filters cut out visible light wavelengths to varying degrees. The
Heliopan filters are conveniently named, so that for example the 695
filter cuts out all light below 695 nm etc.

Nathan