Subject: Re: [Leica] Landscape images for critique/comment
From: "Mark Pope" <leica.user@ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:37:06 +0100

Hi Paul,

what made me try it?
I just fancied doing something a bit different.  Also, a semi-pro friend has
been experimenting with using a digital camera for IR and it sort of
galvanised me into trying it.  Furthermore there were some articles in a
magazine that I take that sparked off an interest.

<Did you know what to expect (I know this was probably the point of the
experiment...)?>

Yes and no.  The IR effect is dependent on the amount of IR around.  However
IU had no idea what I was going to have on film.  You can't previsualise
like you can with conventional film.

<What does the SFX filter do for you?>

The SFX filter is a very deep red (almost opaque) filter.  It cuts out much
of the visible light, only allowing dark red and infra-red radiation
through.

<Is it possible to reduce the contrast? (Many of the highlights appear burnt
out and the shadows lack detail).>

I expect so.  I haven't experimented with cutting development times or
anything.  As far as shadows are concerned, it is really down to exposure.
You can't really apply zone system principles to IR IMO.

Have a go.  It's interesting and different!

Hope that helped

regards

Mark Pope
Swindon Wilts, UK