Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures from Israel
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:56:09 -0700

"Terrorists", eh! This brings to mind one of my favorite anecdotes from
an Armenian friend. When he was a little boy, while living in Palestine,
he saw an event which he recounted to me at one time.
Apparently one day in the late 40's, a convoy of trucks was making its
way through his town. In the trucks were armed Europeans with blue eyes,
as he said. They, the villagers, asked who they were and where they were
from. The reply was that they were muslims from Bosnia Herzegovina on
their way to fight the Jews. Apparently, even in the blush of Stalinist
communism, where travel was severely restricted, such "field trips" were allowed.
What makes it so tragic, is that every now and then one can see during
demonstration signs in Serbo-Croat within the Palestinian ranks calling
for an end to Israel. Apparently resettlement to Israel from B-H was not
duly appreciated by some.
This friend of mine went on to be part of the official entourage, as a
UN photographer, to Dag Hammarskjold. Fortunately, he missed the tragic
flight. He is also a Leica, and Rollei photographer.
Slobodan Dimitrov