Subject: [Leica] leica costs index - saving kilobucks buying overseas? ;-)
From: Robert Monaghan <rmonagha@post.cis.smu.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:54:53 -0500 (CDT)

Great idea - should be interesting, maybe some big savings, here are some
Leica related notes from postings at http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/hongkong.html

(from 1998 posting on hong kong prices:)
Hasselblad 903SWC HK$28000 (approx. US$3612).  B+H price is $4986.
Leica  19mm/2.8 Elmarit HK$15,600 (approx. US$2012). B+ H: $3096
Leica  80mm/1.4 Summilux HK$15000 (approx US$1935). B+H: $2996

Customs duty on my last order from Hong Kong was nowhere near 10%. I
purchased 70-180/2.8 APO and 280/4 APO lenses for my Leica. Purchase
price was approximately US$7,800. Shipping, insurance, customs clearance
was handled by DHL. Needless to say, the manifest clearly disclosed the
exact contents and purchase price; there was no attempt to conceal the
true value from Customs. I received an invoice directly from DHL for
shipping and Customs charges. The total amount was approximately $340. Of
this amount, approximately $120 (to the best of my recollection) was for
shipping and insurance. I'm sorry I can't be more precise but the
paperwork is hiding from me at the moment.

re:Voigtlander
It doesn't cost much more in Europe either. It is astonishing how some
U.S. dealers want to get $450 for the body and $850 for the 15 mm lens,
when one can buy both for about $700 in Europe.

re: sites:
Make some comparisons for yourself:
http://www.schouten-select.com/
http://www.collectcamera.com/
http://www.fotooosterbaan.com/occa/occaindex.html#leica
This is a price list with average second hand prices in Germany:
http://photographica-world.de/preisfuehrer/FIRMEN_LM.htm
prices are german marks: DM
I use this currency converter: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

from Nov 2001:
Two weeks ago I bought a new Leica M6 for $1500, new 35 summicron asph for
$1100 and mint used 90 summicron pre-apo for less than $700 in Tokyo. That
is quite cheaper than any mail order USA price or any price here in Europe.
I almost bought totally mint without a single scratch 500c/m+magazine+80
planar CF for 170 000Y = $1450ish.

and:
You really have to come to HK to believe
the prices that you'll get.  With the savings, you'll definitely be able to
buy a free plane ticket.  A while ago I got a brand spanking new Leica M6
for $1400US, how can you beat that?

and:
Sun, 12 May 2002

I do, poon is my major supplier for my leica stuff. I just checked his ebay
auctions, he is selling the 17-35 for under 1600 usd where is in us it is
2.2 to 2.4 usd. a big difference (http://www.hksupplies.com )

=====

You do have to factor in local dealer discounts, leica days, freebie
offers and the like to be sure of getting the best deal, but I think the
days of squeezing extra kilobucks out of USA or European buyers is coming
to an end as the Internet makes price converge...

* Robert Monaghan POB752182 So. Methodist Univ., Dallas Tx 75275  *
* Third Party 35mm Lenses: http://medfmt.8k.com/third/index.html  *
* Medium Format Cameras: http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/index.html       *