Subject: Re: Re. [Leica] photos for your critique
From: David Mason <dcm@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 11:05:25 -0400

Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net> writes:

> What I think is missing, if I were an editor laying out a page, is a
> clear shot of the artists themselves and the work they are
> making. No. 14 doesn't serve that purpose well enough. No.s 17, 19a
> and 27 are very good shots, but they are details of something which
> I haven't seen whole and can't figure out. You need something like
> an establishing shot in a movie, from which you can then focus in
> closer. If one of the guys was in 2 or 3, selecting a piece in 4 or
> working on the anvil, they all would be better.

Yes, I see what you are saying. In some way I wanted to show the
artists by not showing them. What I mean is that I was really
focusing on their hands, their tools, etc. I thought about portraits,
and shots as you described but decided to take a different approach. I
probably should have taken both types of shots and made that decision
in the editing. Of course, its never too late - these guys are
*extremely* nice and a lot of fun to hang out with.

> Hope this helps. You have definitely made a few fine photos and the
> start of a good essay.

It did indeed - Thanks!

Dave