Subject: Re. [Leica] photos for your critique
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:37:50 -0400

David,

You have some nice photos there. No.s 6, 10 and 15 are good still life
shots and provide supporting details of the story. No. 8 is especially
strong as an image and an idea - the artists are not seen but their
presence and activity is felt.

What I think is missing, if I were an editor laying out a page, is a clear
shot of the artists themselves and the work they are making. No. 14 doesn't
serve that purpose well enough. No.s 17, 19a and 27 are very good shots,
but they are details of something which I haven't seen whole and can't
figure out. You need something like an establishing shot in a movie, from
which you can then focus in closer. If one of the guys was in 2 or 3,
selecting a piece in 4 or working on the anvil, they all would be better.

I'm sure your prints look much richer. Mine usually do, too. Making some
images work on the screen is a whole skill in itself, and some pictures
just don't function well when a bunch of grays get squashed together. In
this regard, color translates better than B&W. The white page backgrounds
don't help; can you change them to gray or black?

On the other hand, since it tends to reduce images to their basic
qualities, seeing a group of photos on the screen is good way to select the
pics that have strong, clear design and informative content from the shots
that might appeal to you for other reasons - qualities that you are proud
of but that are lost on other viewers. That's a lesson I keep trying to learn.

Hope this helps. You have definitely made a few fine photos and the start
of a good essay.

Carl

Replies: Reply from David Mason <dcm@pobox.com> (Re: Re. [Leica] photos for your critique)