Subject: [Leica] how's this for associations, dreams, and the lug
From: David Mason <dcm@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 13:41:02 -0400

Last night at about 2:00am our neighborhood hoot owl started making
its territorial call. Despite the fact that we talk slower down here,
I do indeed know that the 'hoot owl' is in fact the old local name for
the strix varia - or probably, to be more precise, the strix varia
georgica. You may know this by "Barred Owl", "Striped Owl", or if you
live in France "Le Chat-huant du Nord".

The territorial calls are loud, especially when your window is open to
enjoy the early fall weather. It is even louder when the owl is in a
tree beside that window. As an example, listen to this owl with your
speakers turned way up:
http://www.owlpages.com/_media_io2/strix/barred1.wav

Around 4:00am or 5:00am the mating calls with a female hoot owl
further away started:
http://www.owlpages.com/_media_io2/strix/barred2.wav the female is the
raspier voice, sort of flat sounding.

While this was going on I kept having dream-like images of Doug Herr -
well, this particular image: http://www.wildlightphoto.com/doug.jpg
floating through my head. I also remember seeing this image:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/400r68.jpg

I don't know if I thought Doug might be in my back yard shooting the
owl - or if I was thinking I should get a bigger lens to shoot said
owl but I do remember waking up slowly (there was not a lot of good
sleep to be had with all this going on) and trying to shake myself out
of some odd space between home, nature, and the LUG.

I need to take a nap. As much as I admire Doug's work, I am not sure I
want to dream about some man I have never actually met. Sorry, Doug.

Dave