Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 Elmarit Experiences?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 19:27:48 -0700

Michael Gerard wrote:

> Eric,
>     I got an early 90 Elmarit based on the advice of a number of folks on the
> LUG for taking shots of my daughter.  Technically, these are candids, but
> many come close to environmental portraiture.  I can get very tight on her
> head, even take some shots for which one might often use a macro lens.  For
> example, I recently shot a picture of her hands along with my wife's on the
> piano.  Didn't get the shot I wanted, but that was my fault; the lens let me
> get in tight and produced a lovely, pleasing image.  Here's a shot from my
> website that I took just after I bought the Elmari:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~geeman1066/15.jpg
>     I noticed right away how superior it was to my 50 mm for portraiture.
> Lovely lens, give a little softer look.  I use it almost as much as my normal
> lens.
> Regards,
> Michael Gerard
> geeman1066@earthlink.net

A small point but at least its on topic.

90 Elmarit softer than a 50 Summicron? I'm guessing Summicron.
I believe both from the specs I've seen and reviews and my own
experience that a 90 Elmarit is going to be sharper than any of the
Leica 50's at this point.
In that French photo magazine about 5 years ago they called it the
second sharpest optic in the history of photography bar none. Number one
i think was a 180 F2 from Canon nes pas?

Anyway a 90 m unless you're using strobes is a lot harder lens to use
than the 50 on the Leica M.
I think this is why so many people say they're long Leica lens is their
50. And a shame i think. And the weight.

So i think its camera movement which is giving you softer shots than
your 50 in the same sessions or in general.
125th of a second you need on the 90 to get sharp pictures and you're
used to using a 60th, a 30th as people are and less if they're into Zen
and they watch their blood pressure.

I'm ready for a Leica Gyro. Fits right behind my RapidWinder!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> ([Leica] leica gyro?)