Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Nokton (WAS: Portrait of Marianne = bad mistake)
From: "Thomas Mitchell" <thomasmitchell1@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 09:32:32 -0700

Hi Nathan,

To be obsessively pedantic as is my norm, 'boke' as it's normally
transcribed outside photographic circles is actually a very general term.
It's the noun form of the verb 'bokeru' which means to become blurred,
obscured or fall off in color and isn't limited to photos.

Interestingly enough, 'boke' is also a homophone(lots & lots in Japanese) of
another common term also written 'boke' in roman letters.  This 'boke' has
the same sound but is written via a different character root and means
senility, feeblemindedness or childishness associated with age.

I'm actually much more familiar with the second usuage as I hear it from my
lovely, slightly younger wife everytime I walk out of the house forgettting
my keys, wallet, whatever... ;->

Regards,

Thomas