Subject: [Leica] 35 Summilux
From: Thomas Pastorello <etruscello@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:16:05 -0700 (PDT)

   I tried the following with a 35mm Summilux-M
Aspherical and a 35mm Summilux-M non-ASPH (last
version).  I used them both on an M6, on tripod, to
take the same subject matter pictures, both set at
f1.4.  In one case I used 3 statues lined up in a
diagonal to the camera/film plane, i.e., at various
distances: 3 feet, 4 1/2 feet and 6 feet.  At first
glance, the print from the aspherical looked superior.
 It had snap (more dramatic contrast).  After savoring
the prints, I came to clearly prefer the non-asph.
Why?  Please forgive my use of the word, but the
non-asph had better bokeh.  The out of focus areas
(the 2nd and 3rd statues) had a soft, clear
3-dimensional molding to them.  The same out of focus
areas in the asph print looked terrible.  Not only
harsh looking -- the images actually broke up (typical
of Nikkor lenses).  The third statue actually had a
double outline.  In terms of the total images, the
non-asph consistently beat the asph for every type of
subject matter. My own conclusion and decision has
been to not use asphs.  I enjoy the last version of
the 90 Summicron, 28 and 21 Elmarits, etc.  They have
better bokeh and do not flare.  My 24 asph flared so
badly, I traded it in. When I want more snap as well a
good bokeh from my non-asph Summilux 35 at f1.4, I
simply scan the images and elevate contrast in Adobe.
Beyond f1.4, the images already have excellent
contrast.
   For what it's worth or not worth, I share these
subjectively objective experiments with you.   Tom