Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: No digital M possible now???
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 09:47:50 -0700

At 10:15 PM -0700 8/30/02, Frank Filippone wrote:
>I hate to add fuel to this fire, but did it occur to us that if a P+S
>digital camera can make things work with short back focus lenses, a Leica
>camera could be designed using M lenses......    Look at the original
>Digilux.. the body is HALF the thickness of an M camera...... !
>
>We are getting treated as mushrooms.......
>
>Now, I have NO interest in actually owning one, as I believe the
>characteristics of the lenses are far superior to the sigital medium, but
>for Pete's sake..... we need to use logic and reason, not BS to figure this
>all out......
>
>Frank Filippone
>red735i@earthlink.net

You only used logic to a point; you forgot the 'sensor size'.

The point is, that the short back focus _combined with the the
'large' 24x36mm film surface_ leads to very sharp incident angles for
the light. A short back focus is no problem if the sensor size is
correspondingly small, which it is for digital P&S cameras. This is a
serious, and as yet unsurmountable problem that definitely makes the
use of Leica rangefinders much more difficult than SLR's for digital
purposes.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design