Subject: Re: [Leica] My first band shots
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:28:24 -0700

brad daly wrote:

> dave:
>
> > The band is Denali, and I like them much better after seeing them. I
> > was stuck under the guitar player and the crowd really kept me from
> > moving to a place that allowed me to get a shot of the very cute
> > singer. I am partial to the sixth shot in the series - comments are
> > welcome.
> >
> > http://www.dmason.net/photos/Denali/
>
> i used to know them when they were mt. mckinley.  ;)
>
> seriously, i like the shots.  i think i might tone down the contrast a
> bit in the highlights; i'd like some detail.  compositions are very
> good.  the negs aren't that contrasty, are they?  what did you develop
> in?
>
> you might want to try TMZ in xtol next time.  after doing some
> side-by-sides of it and delta 3200, i've decided it's definitely better
> and grabbing highlight and shadow detail.  it's a lot granier, though,
> so there's a trade-off.  i'm going to give neopan at 3200 a shot and TMZ
> in Tmax developer sometime soon, on mark rabiner's recommendation.  then
> i'm going to decide on a high speed combo and stick with it so i can
> learn it.
><Snip>

To be clear I'm not recommending the shooting of Neopan 1600 at 3200 in Xtol.
I don't think Xtol is good for adding extra speed to films.
Neopan 1600 at 3200 in Xtol is going to give you weak shadows no matter
how much time you leave it in there but maybe I'm wrong.
It's great for making use of the speed marked on the box. Or a short
tweak from that in most cases.
Pushing developers as we've talked about are Diafine, Acufine and Kodak
developer for T-Max films; T-Max RC or something like that. I hate them
ASA 1600 is good enough for me. It's already too fast for when god
forbid the sun should come out. You need a filter.
But no biggie

I'd love to see a test between the tree fast films in Xtol.
I got a grain mezzo effect from the T-Max 3200 in Rodinal, in Neopan
1600 it was barley grainy at all.
That and the price of the T-Max 3200 film I've not shot it in years.
But it could work differently in Xtol and could be better than Neopan
certainly better than that Delta 3200 which is a film I'm becoming not
fond of.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com