Subject: Re: [Leica] R System in General
From: mak@teleport.com
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:44:27 -0700

Alas poor R system we hardly knew ye.

I am amazed that Leica still bothers to make R cameras. According to the
latest financials on their web site R sales are way way down.

I own and enjoy an R6 and SL2 and a modest collection of R lenses. The recent
comments here remind me of the only on line chat Leica hosted it was about a
year and a half ago and they had engineers and one could e mail them and get
real time responses...

As I recall a lengthly thread went on and on about how the R 8 was no larger
or heaver than an EOS1 or F5...with the response from those of us in the
peanut gallery that yes this is true but the EOS and F 5 manage to incorporate
auto focus and motors in the same weight and bulk.

I think the R8 is huge and ugly. You may like it...

I would love to have the money invested in the R system R&D (however little
that can be) and production and inventory (apparently Leica has a couple years
worth of R8 bodies in finished goods inventory) put into making a digital back
for my M cameras...

Perhaps Tom will make one for us...