Subject: [Leica] Scarcity of Batteries in the world
From: mak@teleport.com
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:45:09 -0700

There are MANY places int he world where it is hard to find a carbon zinc "AA"
cell let alone some odd lithium polymer cell.

On safari in east Africa a couple years ago we were hard pressed to find any
batteries outside Arusha.

Most on the safari brought lots of spares but driving long AF lenses on hunt
at high motor speeds in high heat and humidity ate through the batteries very
quickly.

Oddly Kodak C41 consumer print films in Arabic and Asian packages were not
uncommon.

As I recall only one shop offered processing of any kind. They also had a new
Exakta Varex (fairly late model) and 300mm f4.5 lens for it for sale for some
staggering sum.

M Leicas (and Viso) functioned fine...though I gave the batteries out of my M6
to a poor soul with a Pentax...he was not having much luck shooing wildlife at
1/90th of a second or "B".

Not just tented camps in Africa. When we got away from the cities in the deep
north of Oz we found normal items a bit hard to find as well...

Thanks

Mark