Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo education
From: Matthew Powell <mlpowell@directvinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:53:40 -0500

On Wednesday, August 21, 2002, at 10:27 AM, S Dimitrov wrote:
> Well, my darling luggite squids, I'm officially a jr. college photo
> instructor as of yesterday, part-time that is.
> I got a call from a friend who in turn had a call from another friend
> looking for a last minute replacement for an instructor slot.
> I got the call around 10-11am, interviewed by 3pm, and walked off with
> my faculty kit, and more importantly, my parking pass.
> Since I have never taught a beginning photo class before, and the other
> instructor didn't leave any working notes behind, I could use some help
> here.
> If any other photo educators could contact me off-list I would greatly
> appreciate it. Especially since classes start next tuesday.

For my intro class, lemme see if I can remember what I had:

Five assignments, one based on light (prints with different lighting
situations), a 2-d assignment (textures, lighting), a 3-d assignment
(depth-of-field), a 4-d assignment (freezing action, motion blur) and a
final that consisted of ten matted prints based on whatever we wished,
but it had to have a theme.

The instruction was mostly in black-and-white darkroom techniques and
photography basics (as someone mentioned this-button-does-this,
this-button-does-that). From what I remember, that's a necessity. I
think I was the only beginner who'd ever used a camera before in my
class.