Subject: Re: [Leica] eggleston envy
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:22:56 -0700

Carl Pultz wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>
><Snip>
>
> Anyway, I am crazy for Eggleston. Too crazy. I can't help imitating the
> guy, like one of the shots I just posted. If they start to be good
> imitations, I'll feel a little better about this.
><Snip>
>
> If I found myself in Hebron, I might be able to ape Mr. Appleby just a
> little. Astonishing work, sir, and an important story. I hope they know
> that not all Americans are against them, for whatever that's worth.
>
> Carl

I'm all for imitation. Lots are not. I've imitated people all my life
thank goodness I've not that the talent to pull it off. It always ends
up looking like something else. Like my own work. And something better
than if I'd not tried to rip off someones style. Something with some
semblance of a concept or style.
I tell anyone who'll listen: rip them off with a vengeance!

Originality is way overrated. And comes close to being almost impossible.

I believe in originality through imitation!!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com