Subject: Re: [Leica] re: rob appleby photos
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:21:42 +0200 (MEST)

> Daniel, we would be getting into dangerous territory here,

I've been there Rob, I know ... dangerous territory, yes. Before you react
to what I write in this paragraph, please read the rest. I have always
been a devoted supporter of Israel. I met my wife there. I've done things
in my private life I won't go into. Israel has always had my undivided
support.

> but this is a
> campaign to drive Palestinians off their land, not a matter of killing off
> weeds. It certainly is a poison - the crops in the sprayed areas are dead.

Yes, it is a poison (the Israelis are stupid enough to use it on their own
crops and water). Despite my undivided support for Israel and the
individuals I love there ... Jenin and quieter (the daily shit
that doesn't make the news) scandals ... they things you report ... give
them all the guns they want, the Israelis and the Palestinians ... may the
best man win.

> I was filming this situation with my Israeli camerawoman, Natasha, when we
> came across an experimental irrigation system constructed by Hajj'Issa using
> drip pipes and rainwater harvesting. Her eyes lit up and she said - this is
> Israeli technology! I pointed out that Israeli irrigation systems not only
> use water taken from the main west bank aquifers (to which palestinians are
> denied autonomous access) and the jordan, but are funded by US taxpayers.

Make that the "Sea of Galilee" ... if it's still left. Check out satelite
pictures of the dead sea ... compare them to your school atlas pictures.

> Not a welcome observation (our relationship was prickly at times,

She was a Sabra ... they get like that.

> but
> fruitful despite our disagreements. It was certainly a difficult experience
> for her.)
>
> The semantics of the territories and Israel are quite different.
>
> I'm happy to pursue it, but maybe the infamous lugforum is a better...
> forum.

Oopps ... sorry.

Rob, I hope your work makes a difference ... but probably not, I wish it
would, it deserves it, but noone is listening.