Subject: Re: [Leica] Eugene Smiths problems
From: "Daniel Ridings" <dlridings@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 16:25:56 +0200

Rob Appleby wrote:
>I'll just add: when I first picked up a camera in the early 80's, there
>were
>two people I wanted to be: HCB and WES. In the end, of course, I became RA.
>Oh well... ;-)

Oh well, if you're going to admit it, so will I ... add Robert Frank.

I think what appealled to me about Smith was his attitude that he was
dealing with an art. I was a frustrated artist turned to journalism ... the
closest I could get to photography training and keep peace within the
family.

I wonder if my attitude hasn't changed since then. I was disappointed to
learn that the lower right-hand corner of "Dr. Schweitzer marking timbers"
was superimposed from another negative.

There's a nice pocket edition of a Smith's work in Phaidon Press' "55"
series (55 pictures ... nice printed ISBN 0 7148 4035 1 ...
http://www.phaidon.com)

I'm glad noone has gotten upset about the OT ... :)

All the best,
Daniel