Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: photojournalism
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 16:20:23 +0200

Rough period... Well, let's avoid the ad hominem.

A hobby is what you do for yourself, on your own dollar, and in those terms,
most significant documentary is a hobby. You can be highly motivated to do
it, it's valuable - I'm tempted to say it's the most valuable thing
photography has to offer, even the central value of photography - but it's
not a dayjob anymore, except for a handful of snappers worldwide.

BTW, just to avoid any misconceptions, I've never been in a crack den ;-),
but I have been in some horrible conditions - and enjoyed it. After all, it
was just a visit for me, not my everyday reality. For instance, I've spent a
couple of weeks in caves in South Hebron, but I'm back home now - but the
people I was photographing are still there. For me, it was fun fun fun -
although I was saddened and angered by the lives the people in question were
being forced to lead.

I do think this aspect of documentary is seldom brought out - and this ties
in to WES: that the photographer is a tourist, really, in other people's
realities, and for him it's a trippy trip. What could be more fun than going
where nobody else goes, for whatever reason? It's a high - and I would
suspect anyone who said otherwise of bad faith or self-aggrandisement (sp?).

I'm not putting anyone down for doing commercial work or waiting table, or
whatever. We all have bellies that have to filled. Which is precisely why
now, unlike 30 years ago, perhaps, most serious photography is indeed done
as a hobby.

R.