Subject: Re: [Leica] Relatively New Leica M user....
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:43:23 +0200

>Now, my queries, which I hope you guys can help me out with.....
>
>1) I got the 0.58 mag version of the M6 TTL. I notice that even for the 28mm
>framelines, they do not occupy the entire viewfinder and there's a fair bit
>of space left over. I was wondering if it would be possible to use the
>Elmarit 24mm f2.8, or even the Elmarit 21mm f2.8, WITHOUT the external
>viewfinder, and still get fairly accurate framing?
>
>Is there anyone who uses their 24 or 21mm lens utilising the entire 0.58x
>viewfinder for framing? Or is that not a feasible solution? If it is
>workable, i can consider swapping out my glasses for contacts ;p

It almost works even with a .72 viewfinder - with a lot of eye
movement. As an extra  help you may cut out a 82° angle (I think it
is 82° horizontally for the 21mm) from a piece of cardboard and glue
it on to the top of the M6 to indicate the coverage

>2) Metering. The lack of 1/2 stop or 1/3 stop indent on the shutter speed
>dial disturbs me a little, having come from my Canon AF SLRs which offers
>1/3 stops on both aperture and shutter speeds. Does this make every M user a
>shutter speed priority shooter, since the only way to fine tune for metering
>appears to be to adjust the aperture?
>
>With SLRs, i always determine desired aperture then fine tune with shutter
>speeds. This doesn't seem to work in Leica M land. And because I shoot
>mostly slides, I do need to get the metering fairly accurate. How do you
>guys do it?

I measure the overall light in the area where I shoot and set speed
and aperture as I wish, then finely adjust aperture just before
shooting

>3) Just curious, how do u hold the camera while framing vertically? tilting
>camera anti clockwise, or clockwise? I notice I'm shaking quite a fair bit
>with either stance. Maybe i just need to get used to the grip (or lack
>thereof) of the M......

Generally release button up, but sometimes down, and in the latter
case I press it with my thumb

- --
Christer Almqvist
D 20255 Hamburg and / or