Subject: RE: [Leica] I need an improved film negative/slide scanner...
From: "Aram Langhans" <langhans@yakima-wa.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:30:11 -0700

I have a Minolta San Dual II that I picked up used for a lot less than $600
and it does a very nice job with slides and negatives. The optical is 2820
and that seems to be enough for 8x10.   I can get very nice 8x10 and 11x14
if I use Genuine Fractals.  They look as good as any comercial prints I have
had made from the same slides.

So, you can get good results for less than $600 if you want to.  I think I
paid around $300+.

Aram

  > Hi folks,
> 2) I would probably want to invest in a $600 or less dedicated film
scanner.
> Which would you recommend? A Nikon Coolscan, Epson 2450, or a Polaroid
> sprintscan or a higher end Canoscan film scanner?
>
> 3) Any advice on dust and scratches removal software? Does this option
(e.g.
> digital ICE) exist with the packaged scanner or is it separate?
>
> Granted, digital imaging isn't easy for a newcomer. And investing into it
is
> probably worth it esp. when I will be interested in doing more and more
> archival prints later on.
>
> sincerely, Alfie

This message is made of 100% recycled electrons.  No new atoms were
destroyed in making it.

Aram Langhans
Science Teacher, Naches High School
101 W. 5th. St / P. O. Box 159