Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: WOW!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 07:13:11 -0700

B. D. Colen

> No. At least not in my hardly-humble-opinion. I cannot for the life of me
> see why they won a prize for "reportage." On the other hand, what the hell
> is "reportage?" I never see the word used anywhere but in Leica ads and
> websites.<<<<

Hi B.D.,
The word "reportage" was a regularly used word for many years to describe
photo story, photo essay, documentary  and generally accepted as
photojournalism with a different name. But primarily in Europe.

The winner's photography could hardly be called "reportage" along the lines
of the good old days of Paris Match, LIFE, LOOK and many other
photojournalistic type magazines of the past. Or if they still exist don't
use 12 pages of "reportage photography" in any one edition.

Today, "Gotta make the big advertising bucks!" So the quality of reportage /
photojournalism work is down sized to one or two pictures and rarely a two
page photo layout.

Maybe some of our European members can offer something about the "reportage"
word as used in that part of the world today.

ted

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Re: WOW!)