Subject: Re: [Leica] WOW!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 06:56:49 -0700

B. D. Colen wrote:

> Hi, Ted - It's not normally my thing either, but these really work for me.
> don't see her exposing for highlights as much as intentionally
underexposing
> and 'painting with light.' Can she make a living doing this? My guess is
> that if she can hit it consistently, she can make a very good living doing
> books, posters, etc. etc. 'Art,' not PJ...;-)<<<

Hi B.D.,
I meant in exposing for the highlights was everything else would drop to
under exposed as you say and yes she underexposes deliberately for the
effect.

On the one hand I like what I see particularly on the beach stuff, the under
water doesn't do anything simply because that can be done by anyone with a
Nikonos or under water camera and  clear Australian sea water. Not too much
imagination required, more the imagination of thinking of trying it. And why
not? I've done some underwater shooting off Bermuda but it never occurred to
me to shoot her kind of thing as I suppose many others who've played
underwater.

Your right about the "making a very good living" from this style, but I'd
hardly call it PJ photography. Certainly in the name it's generally
understood.

Her photography is interesting to say the least...... and completely
different and that's why she won, simply because it's brand new in your face
effect different! It's not the usual winner material of the same old thing
of death, destruction, pot bellied starving kids and bombed out building. As
that kind of thing has won many many years and it's a piece of cake to
shoot..... Any photographer just has to be on the scene and if he or she is
any good or not, (some haven't been) can come home with hundreds of the same
old bodies and burnt out buildings.

So taking that into consideration, I can understand why the judges made her
the winner...... it was basically a breath of fresh air and quite different
to say the least.

If it weren't different and just more bodies, would we have had a week long
discussion on the outcome?

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant