Subject: Re: [Leica] film and travel
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 20:36:33 -0700

At 7:52 AM -0700 8/2/02, doug kim wrote:
>my fault for not pointing it out. and also my monitor is perhaps calibrated
>a bit bright.
>
>i just uploaded a brighter version of it:
>
>http://www.ricecracker.net/test/
>
>the fog is present in the lower right hand corner and in a diagonal stripe
>from the red lamp in the upper right corner to the bottom left corner across
>the whole image. the lower right hand corner especially should almost be
>black.
>
>doug

Please take the following with some scepticism, as I obviously don't
have the roll in front of me, but:

If the film were fogged by x-rays while in a cannister, then there
would be a regular patter of
stripes/fog/shadows-from-intervening-items at spacing equal to the
circumference of the film roll at that image. It doesn't seem to be
case here, where the 'diagonal strip' is straight across the diagonal
of the frame, which is an unlikely geometric coincidence. This, and
the fog at the lower right are what I see when lens/camera induced
flare is produced. X-ray fogging almost always has some sharp edged
shadows fro nearby denser objects as well. And yes, even the best of
today's Leica lenses produces flare at times. I have gotten flare
with the 35/1.4 ASPH, Noctilux, Tri-E and 90AA as well as with every
other Leica-M lens I have ever owned/used, and that includes pretty
much every one produced in the last 50 years. The next shot, with the
camera moved only a degree or two, might lack or have different flare.

I _have_ seen x-ray induced fog, but that was in the 70's on 400ASA
colour neg film, which had been in a Rollei 35. It showed among other
things, at appropriate spacing, the shadow of the strap clip on the
camera body, which is quite distinctive. I haven't seen any other
incontrovertible evidence, and at this point the above image doens't
change that.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design