Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS film and travel - NOW travel by Amtrak
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 11:49:21 -0700

Over the past fifty years, I've flown, driven and gone by train
across Canada numerous times. From Vancouver Cape Breton Island is a
long way away, but driving has been the best experience for me. In
the end, it really depends on whether the purpose is the getting
there or the being there. Now the train is no longer an option, and
I'm not getting on a bus for that distance, if I have to be in
Toronto or Ottawa, I'll take a plane, but if it's summer and I have a
three or four days, I'll drive and enjoy the scenery and the
transitions across the country.

A couple of years ago I had some things to do in Germany, and as I
was going alone, thought that going by train was the only way to do
it, both from a time and cost point of view. Then I started adding up
the train costs, looking at timetables etc, and after costing rental
cars and considering fuel costs wound up renting a small Renault
microvan. The German trains are clean, fast and punctual, but not
cheap. Under some other circumstances it might have been cheaper by
train, but not on this trip. Of course, I do enjoy driving quite a
bit no matter where I am. Also, it allows me to take a look at that
little village on the hill on the horizon; the sort of sidetrip that
is almost always worthwhile.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design