Subject: Re: [Leica] Photojournalisim and 9/11
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:32:54 EDT

In a message dated 8/2/02 11:53:49 AM, allanwafkowski@mac.com writes:

<< Kim, I can't disagree with what you have written, but I do disagree with
your apparent prognosis.

"People (the human animal with a reptilian brain) are far more inclined
to engage in pleasurable pursuits than painful ones" is a remark that
leaves little room for our power to reason. We are all inclined to what
is easy, fun, and pleasurable; but we can override that through the use
of our reasoning ability. It's become difficult because the notion of
absolutes is much diminished in our society, and there are a couple of
generations bouncing around who are looking inward to their egos for
answers. Still, we all know students who worked harder than their peers
to get into the school they wanted, or know of parents who used family
resources for the pleasure of their children in lieu of their own
pleasure. Discipline and sacrifice are not popular, but our reasoning
has always had the power to take up beyond animal instincts.

Allan >>

Hi Allan,

Well as you noted what I said is what folks are more "inclined" to do.  Of
course, there can and always be overrides to inclinations.  Although
intentional "reason" and tradition are certainly ways to override
inclinations there are others at work as well.  Serving ones ego is a big
motivator and so is a sense of altruism, connectedness to the world, empathy,
and spirituality.

As to the original thought regarding pj and changing the world, I guess that
despite my cynicism I have a much more amorphous view of how photos change
the world and how change even occurs.  I think about the analogy to the pond,
and how a thrown stone or landing insect will bring about ripples throughout
the pond.  We do the same thing.  We change the world in big ways and little
ones, intentionally and accidentally.  As a brief aside, the other day got a
phone call from someone I went to college with.  Well that was ages ago.  But
towards the end of our current conversation, after we had caught up on old
times and new, she thanked me for what I said to her when she was
contemplating her future.  She told me that what I  said inspired her and was
a big reason why she took the leap to became a doctor that now serves the
poor.  Well, for the life of me, I had absolutely NO MEMORY of that
conversation I had had with her. As much as I'd like to pin the Mahatma
Gandhi award on myself, once she prodded my lame memory, it turned out our
conversation was a deep, accidental and in some ways, casual one.  We were
watching a sunset, sipping on beers, and we slipped into talking about life
and choices.  It was basically one of those small moments we miss when we run
around and don't take time to pause.  Go figure.

What does any of this have to do with Leicas?  Well, I take photos, which
help me, in my own little way, to try and make sense of it all.

- -kim