Subject: RE: [Leica] Photojournalism and 9/11
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:15:44 -0400

The Nick Utt photo of the napalmed girl and the Eddie Adams photo did indeed
have real impact on public opinion.

However...This myth that Vietnam Inc. had a major impact on anything
is...well...myth. Take a look at the number of copies sold in the original
printing. And look at when it was published:
The Pentagon papers had come out; the Tet offensive was four years in the
past; Kent State had come and gone; Mei Lai (sp) had come and gone. Bottom
line - American public opinion had already turned against the war.
Negotiations were underway in Paris. Nixon wasn't running on a platform to
win the war, he was running claiming that he had a plan to end it. I know
that Noam Chomsky claims that Vietnam Inc. had a major impact on the course
of the war. (what a shock.) Vietnam Inc. was probably never seem by anyone
who was not already 100% opposed to the war.

Not that any of the above should detract from the fact that Vietnam Inc. is
a really amazing, powerful, piece of anti-war propaganda. But your example
provides yet aother example of how documentary photography fails to change
the world.

B. D.