Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm Summilux-M
From: DFangon@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 04:30:14 EDT

In a message dated 7/30/02 10:20:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
pklein@2alpha.net writes:
<< A little flare, a little softness, a bit of "glow," coma in the
highlights, sketchy
detail in the shadows. >>

These are all fine if the photographer intended it (actually "hoped for" is
more like it since the results are hard to predict until one sees an
unaltered print) for artistic purposes.  But if the lens quality is such that
one has no choice, that is a different matter altogether.

<< Now of course, if someone brought me both lenses and said, "you can have
 either one for free, but only one," I would pick the ASPH without
 hesitation. >>

This hypothetical situation is of course in the realm of the fantasy.  But my
main objection to it is this.  There is a price differential to pay for every
improvement that comes along, Leica products included.  If we are to reject
an improved product because it is more expensive than the item it replaces,
where will Leica or any other company end up in the long run?

Dante