Subject: RE: [Leica] Push versus Pull
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 05:40:17 -0400

Greg...

I shot my brother's wedding awhile back with Delta 3200 pulled to 1600 and
processed in XTOL.  It was great for them [that was the look they wanted],
but was still contrasty and grainy by my standards [Portra 160 NC is my film
of choice].  If I had to do it again, I would shoot the same for them, but I
would have the film processed professionally in XTOL by a lab, as my
processing was not as good as I would have liked.

I should also add that I took several other mono films out to their location
[left coast] six months prior to the wedding, shot test scenes with both
push and pull at the light levels they were expecting, processed everything
in ye olde commercial developer at the pro lab [dunno what the soup was;
they told me, but I can't remember].  Everything came back with gigantic
grain; much more than I was expecting.  Thus I descended into home
processing of XTOL and got much better results.  Even better results when I
located a single pro lab here in the area that used XTOL for all their
production processing.  However, I wanted it to be a labor of love and
processed everything myself.

Hope that helps.

/Mitch
Mitch Zeissler