Subject: [Leica] StreetKid--Color vs. B&W
From: "Scott Squire" <scott_squire@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:01:08 +0000

Adrian wrote:
<<

Scott

Looking over the photos you've posted - the best of them seem to
be the
Heroin Snore - in colour, and the series of the whole in the
ground.

Is there a reason you are wanting to shoot in B&W?   I realise
the
traditional photojournalism = B&W - but I don't think that is
necessary -
personally I'd like to see some more of your colour work to
compare.

Adrian>>

Adrian,
thanks for the comment--I'm trying to shoot in black and white for a few
reasons.
1) because I'm mostly a color guy, and I'm trying to learn to think in grays
2) because of the tradition in this kind of work (I suppose)
3) (related V. closely to 2 above) because my main photo teacher *prefers*
B&W
4) because I don't REALLY want to jumble color and black and white together
(obvious exceptions like that Heroin Snore picture are shown because the
audience is principally photographers, and I like to talk with photographers
about things like how a picture works in color versus B&W--if this pic makes
the final edit, it will probably do so in mono)

How do other folks feel about color versus black and white? About shooting
them side-by-side? About displaying them side-by-side?

The work from earlier in the project is mostly color--I'll probably have a
look at it and see what, if any, of it works better black and white. As I've
said before, most of the first few posts were sort of record shots (i.e., I
wasn't thinking either 'color' or b&w' as I shot, early on. More like--Oh my
god, I can't believe I'm doing this)

Again, thanks for the comments.
Best
Scott Squire