Subject: [Leica] Scanning tutorial, anyone? (OT, mostly)
From: "Scott Squire" <scott_squire@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:12:01 +0000

Howdy All,
It's become apparent that I am not a Master Scansman, and I would like to do
better. I use a Nikon CoolScan IV, a Mac, Nikon driver software. I'd like to
sit down, vitually, beside a few of the better scanning technicians on the
list, and see how it's done.

I've read some on the web about it, and opinions seem to range from 'always
scan at maximum resolution, at a pretty standard baseline, then do what you
need to do to the file in Photoshop' (which is basically my method), to 'do
this and this and this in these eleventy-two scanner dialogue boxes, go get
a coffee, and when you're back it will be pure genius on the screen.'

It's this latter that I want to get a handle on. If needed.

The specific problems I wouldl like to address are too-high contrast and too
little shadow detail. This on negatives that have plenty, as visible to me
in a 8X loupe.

If you scanmasters (and mistresses) aren't feeling game to sit down with me,
long-form, perhaps there's a particularly useful resource on the web you can
point me at? I'm currently chewing through the Imaging-resource bit on my
scanner, for about the fourth time. Any others?

Thanks for your indulgence. It's about 50% Leica pictures I'm scanning, but
I hope you'll excuse the somewhat off topic post.

Cheers
Scott Squire

ps be sure to check out new photo gallery content on
http://www.scottsquire.net