Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning tutorial, anyone? (OT, mostly)
From: "Mark Davison" <DAVISON_M@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:57:45 -0700

Scott,

You wrote:

> The specific problems I wouldl like to address are too-high contrast and
too
> little shadow detail. This on negatives that have plenty, as visible to me
> in a 8X loupe.

I would be happy to help, but you have omitted the key element--what kind of
film are you scanning?

Also it would help to know the exact version number of Nikon Scan you are
using.

Anyway here are the results of my experience with an LS-2000.  For long
tonal range C-41 black and white, or color film like Portra 400NC, with
Nikon Scan 3.1.2 you want to make sure that in Tool Palette 1, you set
Scanner Extras > Prescan Mode to Lo-Cont Neutral. Then set Preferences >
Preview Settings > Auto Exposure for Negative Film to On. In addition you
should run Nikon Scan stand-alone and turn off Nikon Color Management.

For real silver black and white, make sure you have ICE turned off, and try
scanning as Positive RGB and then inverting in photoshop. Use Image > Adjust
> Channel Mixer to choose the best channel coming back from the RGB scan.
(Be sure to select Monochrome for the output.) You may have to fiddle with
Tool Palette 1 > Analog Gain to see into the densest parts of the negative
(which are highlights).

Some tweaking in photoshop will be required with these methods, but Nikon
Scan's auto exposure modes just aren't good enough to get it right the first
time if you have negatives with a fair density range.  The default Automatic
setting of Prescan Mode is sure to clip highlights and shadows, making your
carefully crafted images look like drug store prints.

Hope this helps.

Mark Davison