Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 or not to M7, c'est la question - LONG
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 08:26:41 +1000

>G'day Alastair,
>Sorry to hear about the flu please keep it down under.. ;-) Thank you.

No travelling with this one :-(

>On the other hand, I suppose due to my experience over the years, I've found
>the AE M7 function a great asset in the type of capturing "life moments" I
>shoot. It's not so auto everything to make one become lazy, but it does
>allow me to put more emphasis on focus and quick changes of aperture without
>thought of exposure. Not to say I don't keep a sharp eye on the shutter
>speed number in the viewfinder. It also allows quicker use of the aperture
>in relation to depth of field effect and sharpness.
>
>But to date I don't find the M7 making me lazy as it's giving me a greater
>consistency of exposures roll to roll than I ever experienced in 17 years of
>M6 use. Why? Because I still have "labour intense" moments of focus during
>the composition time.

I think the point I was trying to make was that for you and Tina, the
automation is made to work for you not inspite of you. For less
experienced users, the automation should be kept off most of the
time, so that they (and me) can gain the sort of 6th sense which
allowed Tina to "spot" the floor before firing the shutter.

The other "devil" in the rangefinder -- for me-- is the central focal
patch. When I first got the cle, every one of the images had the main
subject dead centre. I would choose an f stop, let the camera set the
shutter, focus and fire -- I was forgetting to compose. Now I try
very hard to either focus before raising the camera so I concentrate
on composition, or focus and then compose. The external viewfinder
and using the "o" series cameras have helped reinforce these messages.

Business as usual, only a little slower this week. I think the "fog" is lifting

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com