Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 or not to M7, c'est la question - LONG
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 07:17:25 -0700

Alastair Firkin wrote:

>>I'm sure the first time I wrote this it was more "intelligent", but
what I'm trying to say, is that it is ok for Ted to use automation --
he knows how to use it. For me, automation had lead to laziness, and
there is a lot to be learnt by keeping out of automation. This is why
the R8 now suits me. It is designed to be used on Manual, in fact the
first stop on the dial is "m".<<<

G'day Alastair,
Sorry to hear about the flu please keep it down under.. ;-) Thank you.

Automation making for lazy shooters? You bet!

I completely agree with you when one uses the all everything automatic film
exposing machines. My discovery of the "lazies" was during a staff position
a few years ago where, by job description, I was forced to use only Canon
EOS cameras and lenses for about 20 months. I couldn't use, nor was I
allowed to bring my Leica gear in the building or on venue sites.  Why?

Well Canon were a sponsor for the Commonwealth Games in Victoria so Leica's
were a no-no. Hey it didn't cause me any headaches I just rolled with it as
I had access to everything in the Canon photographic line if I asked for it.
FREE!!!! I did, just to see how it worked. ;-) Unfortunately I had to give
it all back after the Closing Ceremonies. :-(

But there wasn't any question due to the auto-everything gear I began to let
the camera do everything, well isn't that what they were designed for? "You
don't have to think" just point and shoot and the machine does it all for
you? The film use went up, the exposures were great, they were in focus,
what more could you ask for?

Well hell that's easy to answer.... better pictures of the quality I did
when taking the moment to "think" while using a Leica.

Yep piles of film exposed and piles of so-so pictures taken that shouldn't
have been exposed and piles more in the dump. Auto everything or as you
pointed out "auto AE" of the M7 may make you lazy, if you rely on it as the
be all to end all in making your pictures.

On the other hand, I suppose due to my experience over the years, I've found
the AE M7 function a great asset in the type of capturing "life moments" I
shoot. It's not so auto everything to make one become lazy, but it does
allow me to put more emphasis on focus and quick changes of aperture without
thought of exposure. Not to say I don't keep a sharp eye on the shutter
speed number in the viewfinder. It also allows quicker use of the aperture
in relation to depth of field effect and sharpness.

But to date I don't find the M7 making me lazy as it's giving me a greater
consistency of exposures roll to roll than I ever experienced in 17 years of
M6 use. Why? Because I still have "labour intense" moments of focus during
the composition time.

I agree for some photographers switching from M6 to M7 just for the AE would
be pretty stupid, certainly if they're enthusiasts or money, as it is for
all of us, is a concern. But no one will convince me the M7, regardless if
AE has been around for years, isn't a major improvement in making the M line
more effective as a tool.

After all it's still just a collection of metal and glass assembled to
expose film and it's the guy or gal making it work that produces the magic
of the photograph. And hopefully not lazy pictures.

I trust you're over the flu soon and back in business. :-)

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant