Subject: Re: [Leica] photographic critique requested
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 09:23:49 -0400

Howard,

My thoughts run the other way from Gerry's. Instrument repair shops always
have tools and bits of horns all over the place, and it would have been
nice to see more of that. In other words, put the man in his working
context by being farther away from him, especially if it was hard to get
close-ups. Maybe a bit of that would have happened if shot 1 & 2 were
horizontal. That started to happen in 1, which might have been stronger if
you had the camera lower.

I think you could have used less exposure than incident readings suggested.
Remember that the incident meter is going to recommend a bright, daylight
sort of rendering with no appreciation for the atmosphere of the location.
With a faster shutter, you might have got some better frames of the man
working and conveyed more sense of the place where he works.

Close-ups of the part in his hand would've been a job for your Nikon! (Duck
- - Incoming!)

Nice to see you here, Howard. I remember you from the Ampex list.

Carl